Sunday, August 25, 2013

thompson hotel on a saturday night

Last night was my first experience at the Thompson Hotel. I'd obviously heard lots about it over the years so I was excited to check it out. I'll start off by saying, I didn't make it to the patio but did have access to downstairs.

We started our evening in the lounge area on the main floor. The music was pretty good. It was a bit house mixed with top 40, really the only way I can stand house. Drinks were about the price I would expect for this type of place, about $8 for bar rail vodka. One of the best aspects of this hotel is the people watching. It is an interesting mix of people. Some people who are staying at the hotel, people dressed very fancy and some dressed down more than I expected.

We then headed downstairs, when we first arrived it wasn't too busy but it definitely picked up. The music down there was much more suited to dancing and the dance floor was busy. The DJ was doing a pretty good job. The crowd was about mid-twenties to mid-thirties, of course with a few people out of the bracket but this was definitely a more grown up place than something in the entertainment district. 

We wrapped up our night at the Thompson with plans to head to another bar but got lured in by the Thompson Diner. And boy, am I glad we did. It was about 1:40am at this point, they were still serving food in the diner. It is nice that there  is a 24-hour food place attached to the hotel that isn't expensive. The diner has an old school feel, with large booths were perfect for our group of 5. The place only got busier the later it got, presumably as people sought out drunk eats after last call. I had the mac and cheese with bacon. I got the side portion, at 2am, it was more than enough food. My friends at the table also got milkshakes, I'm not really sure where they put it all. 4 people at my table got the mac and cheese, one person got sweet potato fries but ended up eating half of my mac and cheese (which wasn't too upsetting because it was way more than enough). I would highly recommend this place late at night, or really any other time that you're in the neighbourhood.



My "side" order of mac and cheese - $7.50 at the Thompson Diner

No comments:

Post a Comment